Sunday, April 20, 2008

Gypsy Curse

No one is quite sure how far back it goes. I know My mother has always had it, and I believe my grandmother has always had it. It could go back for centuries, and at this point I don't suppose it really matters. The mark is on the door. Every door in my life has the gypsy mark, very similar to the one used in the logo for this page I would imagine. This mark is like a flashing neon welcome sign to anyone who might be considered a misfit or an outcast, all of those who have a different outlook on life. These people do not know they are being drawn by the sign, nor do they seek me out in any way, but something about the curse draws us together. I too fit into the category of misfit, and therefore hold a common thread with these people. They come into my life, and many of them have been here for a very long time. Some fade away with time, some only pass through very briefly, but they do all seem to make a stop through to touch the sign and make themselves known.

There are advantages to the curse. I have had a very colorful life with the chance to have many different experiences.. The gypsy curse has taught me that no one person or group has the right answers or the right ideas. I have learned to be open-minded and accepting of others. The disadvantages are also plenty, and I have also experienced those in great number. I do, however, remain optimistic, as well as very trusting of people and situations, sometimes to my own undoing.

No comments: